Oct 26, 2016

BUTTERFLIES FOUND IN SILIGURI

Mind is like a butterfly which wanders through various realms before settling on one.
So is my mind, so is all of yours!

Butterflies are beautiful creatures of Mother Nature. They flick their wings. Fly from one flower to another in search of nectar. Halts at a place. Confuses human mind. Manifest beauty in the heart of viewer. What are these creatures? What hand made them? Nobody knows. Yet a thought of them blossoms my heart.

Therefore, I mention the name of some beautiful butterflies I see across my city- Siliguri.

Small Grass Yellow Butterfly (Eurema Hecabe )



I have seen a kaleidoscope of hundred Small Grass Yellow butterflies at a spot in Rongtong(Sukna).Rongtong is a small hillock along the forests of Mahananda Wildlife Sanctuary. There is very little movement of vehicles on Rongtong route therefore the nature has claimed its sovereignty. It is the most picturesque road of Siliguri.Small Grass Yellow butterfly can be best witnessed here. Other sections of Mahananda Wildlife Sanctuary like Sevoke also have good number of these butterflies.

Indian Blue Mormon



One beautiful sunny day, I was sitting on the bench of a school with a book. Suddenly, I got a glimpse of a butterfly sitting on the muddy ground. I thought probably it’s tired therefore taking a sunbath so I left him there. While browsing the picture of this butterfly on the internet I learned that it is called Indian Blue Mormon.They are found profoundly in wet regions of India like West Bengal.They are fond of sun and tolerant to other butterflies and humans! The one that I saw in the school of Siliguri was a female Indian Blue Mormon.It doesn’t necessarily has to be forest patch. I have seen it at various places in Siliguri.

Indian Crow



I have seen this butterfly quite often in the gardens and slightly forested tracks of Siliguri.However, it was always found single.

Monarch butterfly



Monarch butterfly is a very rare sight even in the forests of Mahananda Wildlife Sanctuary. I have seen it once or twice in Sukna forest. They are not seen in the city.


No comments:

Post a Comment